Red Lentil Hummus
Yield 2 cups
Try this red lentil version anywhere you’d use traditional hummus - in wraps, with veggies or crackers, or even just off of a spoon. Red lentils are a great protein source and are one of my top hormone foods!
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat water in a small saucepan over high heat until boiling. Add lentils and reduce heat to low. Simmer until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Drain through a fine mesh strainer and let cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Place lentils, garlic, and tahini in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and pulse until lentils are broken up, about 10 pulses.
- With the motor running, add oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and blend until evenly incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and blend for 40 seconds more or until smooth.
Store in air-tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.