Applesauce Oat Muffins
Yield 12 Muffins
These quick & easy muffins are great for an after school snack (or really any time of the day!).
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons butter , melted (or coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or hemp seeds
*optional - a few dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners or grease with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, applesauce, milk, egg, vanilla, butter and sugar.
In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and walnuts.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the applesauce mixture. Stir just until combined (don't overmix!)
Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Don't over-bake or the muffins will be dry. Remove them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before freezing in a ziplock freezer bag.