Are you afraid of avocados? Many people I meet ARE! That’s just because they haven’t had a chance to get to know this wonderful fruit (yep it’s a fruit). So, in case you are one of the people, let me introduce you to your avocado:
Yes, avocados are relatively high in fat and calories (138 calories and 14.1g fat in half a medium-sized avocado). But they’re also one of the best foods you can eat, packed with nutrients and heart-healthy compounds.
Your avocado is loaded with good-for-you monounsaturated fats, and these amazing green babies can improve your heart health by boosting your HDL (good) cholesterol without raising your LDL (bad) cholesterol, and by providing a hefty dose of potassium and fiber.
In addition to be a heart-helper your new fried can help you lose weight! Half an avocado contains 3.4 grams of fiber, including soluble and insoluble, both of which your body needs to keep the digestive system running smoothly. Plus, soluble fiber slows the breakdown of carbohydrates in your body, helping you feel full for longer. They also contain oleic acid, a fat that activates the part of your brain that says “I’m Full” – so you eat less.
Your new friend is also a great source of lutein, a carotenoid that works as an antioxidant and helps protect your beautiful eyes.
For anyone who has worked with me at all, you already know how much I love avocados for your hormones. Full of hormone-building good fats that reduce inflammation (an absolute necessity when it comes to balancing hormones) as well as the fiber that boots out nasty hormone-hindering toxins avocados are truly a hormone-super-food!
Now, on to the recipes.
First up – an Avocado Popsicle. I know, sounds awful, but it’s so darn delicious you won’t be able to believe it! Ask my 6-year-old! If this recipe doesn’t sound so great to you, take baby steps. Here’s how:
- Make your favorite smoothie
- Add 1/4 avocado to it
- Drink as is or pour into Popsicle molds and freeze
- Be amazed. It will shock you how creamy & yummy this is
Avocado Lime Popsicles
Makes 6 to 12 popsicles – so you can share (if you want to!)
1 cup water
2 very ripe bananas
2 avocados (your new best friend)
Juice and zest of 1 lime
Dash sea salt
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to Popsicle molds.
2. Freeze for at least 24 hours before serving.
AND Just because I have you itching to use more avocados – a bonus recipe!
Avocado Stuffed Sweet Potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 c avocado, cubed
- 2 TBS red onion, diced
- 2 TBS lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBS fresh cilantro – chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400*.
- Bake sweet potato for 45 minutes to one hour, or until cooked through and soft.
- Meanwhile, combine diced peppers, avocado, and onion in a small bowl.
- Dress with lime juice, cumin, and garlic. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut sweet potato in half and remove the insides with a spoon.
- Mix the avocado filling with the sweet potato filling.
- Stuff back into sweet potato skin and garnish with cilantro.
To make this a main dish, you could add a source of protein like black beans or grilled chicken. Feel free to let your imagination run wild!
Have fun with your new friend!