Apple Streusel Muffins
Yield 12 Muffins
A delicious muffin while we are in apple season!
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup kefir
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or 1 cup all-purpose, 1 cup whole wheat)
- 2 1/2 tst baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large apple cored and diced into small pieces
- 2 cups granola, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins or line with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until combined. Whisk in the kefir, yogurt, and eggs until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir with a spoon until just combined. Fold in the diced apple and 1 cup of the granola.
- Divide the batter evenly among the wells of the muffin tin. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of granola evenly over the batter and press it down lightly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean (about 25 minutes).
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
*Store in a covered container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or for up to a week in the fridge.
(Adapted from Gentle Nutrition cookbook)