Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
Yield 4 Servings
One of my most favourites on a cold day!
- 3/4 cup wild rice blend
- 4 cups mushrooms, diced (you can use a mixture of mushrooms here)
- 3/4 - 1 cup white onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter, or coconut oil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth (depending on how thick you want it)
- 14 oz can coconut milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the wild rice and add it to a small or bowl to soak in cold water for 15-30 minutes.
- While the rice is soaking, chop & prep the vegetables. Slice the mushrooms thinly (removing the bottom of the stems if desired) and finely dice the onions.
- Add butter to a large soup pot and turn on the heat. Once the butter has melted, add in the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Then, sauté for 15 minutes until the onions & mushrooms are beginning to crisp up and brown. Make sure to stir consistently to evenly cook the vegetables.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, season with a mix of parsley, salt, and pepper. Then, add the vegetable broth, soaked & strained wild rice, and coconut milk to the pot with the vegetables. Stir to mix together.
- Bring the pot of soup to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes.
- At the 20 minute mark remove the soup lid, stir the soup, and cook the soup uncovered for an additional 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked through. (Please note, if you are using a rice other than wild rice, cooking time will vary, so check if it is done at the 20 minute mark).
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken. Finally, serve and enjoy!